GEHA stands by those who are affected by recent storms. GEHA Customer Service (including member ID lookup): 800.821.6136
Video recipe: Roasted butternut squash soup
3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
2 yellow onions
2 apples, peeled and cored
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 4 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp. curry powder (optional)
Scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and sliced diagonally
Flaked sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
Roasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Diced banana (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash mixture between 2 sheet pans and spread it in
a single layer. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until very tender. Note: If desired, add curry to vegetables before roasting.
3. Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done, place them in a separate pot, blender or food processor. Add some of the chicken stock and coarsely puree.
4. When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste for seasonings to be sure there’s enough salt and pepper to bring out the curry flavor.
5. Reheat and serve hot with condiments either on the side or on top of each serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Courtesy of The Culinary Center of Kansas City. For more information, please visit kcculinary.com.
To enjoy other recipes like this one, download GEHA's free A Year of Celebrations – healthy recipes for every gathering recipe e-book.
View our other recipe videos:
Mango tomato salsa
Roasted vegetable frittata