Overnight no-bake banana oatmeal
GEHA | September 2, 2021
2 1/2 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
2 bananas, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/4 cup chopped, unsalted pecans or walnuts
- In a large, resealable container or bowl, add milk, honey and extract. Stir to combine, adding oats as you stir. Seal or cover; place in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.
- The next day, peel each banana. Halve each one lengthwise and slice. Divide sliced bananas and nuts over each oatmeal portion. Serve.
- Cooking tip: Play around with the combination of oats to milk ratio. Like an oatmeal with a thicker consistency? Use more oats. Prefer it not so thick? Add more milk.
- Keep it healthy: Add a variety of goodies into the oatmeal when preparing it the night before like dried fruit, unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc. Chopped fresh fruit, like bananas, go brown if added the night before so it’s best to top with fresh fruit right before eating.
- Tip: Natural sweeteners such as maple syrup or honey are a great way to add a touch of sweetness instead of sugar. Even a bit of fruit juice like orange juice can provide sweetness..
Makes four servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
|9.7 g||total fat|
|1.4 g||saturated fat|
Reprinted on August 2, 2021, courtesy of the American Heart Association. For more, visit recipes.heart.org.