Manage your weight and enjoy holiday eating
GEHA | December 8, 2019
The key to enjoying holiday goodies without gaining weight is portion control.
Managing your weight during the holidays can be tough. The key to enjoying holiday goodies without gaining weight is portion control. Use the mantra “maintain, don’t gain” and these tips to help you through this season.
- Don’t arrive hungry. Before you go to an event, eat a meal or healthy snack to fill up before filling your plate.
- Divert your attention. Conversation with others is a great way to focus on something other than food.
- Pace yourself. Chewing slowly will fill you up with less food.
- Outsmart the buffet. Use the smallest plate and don’t stack your food. Go for the simplest foods, such as shrimp cocktail, fruits and vegetables. Watch out for sauces and dips.
- Limit alcohol. Alcohol contains calories. Sip on water or club soda instead.
- Be choosy with desserts. Limit yourself to small portions.
- Bring a healthy dish. Chances are others will enjoy your low-calorie treat too. It doesn’t need to be typical holiday food. A vegetable tray or fruit salad is a good alternative.
- Limit tastes while cooking. You can quickly lose track of your own snacking. Limit yourself to two small bites of each item pre- and post-seasoning.
- Keep track. Write down what you eat daily.
- Walk it off. Go for a walk with family or friends before or after a meal. In fact, increasing your physical activity during the holiday season will make it easier to maintain your weight.