Sweet potato nachos
GEHA | January 4, 2022
This snack or appetizer tastes great – and is much healthier – over a base of seasoned sweet potatoes.
- Cooking spray
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and thinly sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped tomato (1 medium Italian plum [Roma] tomato) OR 1/3 cup canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped avocado
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two medium baking pans with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, oil, paprika, chili powder and garlic powder. Spread the sweet potato mixture in a single layer in the baking pans.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- Remove the pans from the oven. Sprinkle the beans and cheddar over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 2 minutes, or until the cheddar melts.
- Sprinkle with the tomato and avocado
Nutritional values per serving:
5.5 g total fat
1.5 g saturated fat
34 g carbohydrate
6 g protein
194 mg sodium
Reprinted on January 4, 2022, courtesy of the American Heart Association. For more, visit recipes.heart.org.