Resources for expecting parents
GEHA | April 2, 2021
Pregnancy can be an exciting and exhausting time. You may have questions about prenatal care, such as the frequency of your doctor appointments, exercise and healthy eating, prenatal supplements, the effects of smoking or substance use, and what to expect in each trimester.
GEHA has resources available to help answer your questions and guide you through your pregnancy.
The first step once you know you are pregnant – or think you might be – is to schedule a prenatal care visit. Your doctor will discuss the following with you:
- Healthy diet and weight gain
- Medications, prenatal vitamins and folic acid
- Alcohol, tobacco or drugs
- Caffeine intake
- Physical activity
- Dental checkups
Once the doctor’s visit is scheduled, head over to GEHA’s pregnancy and childbirth webpage. From there you will be able to order a complimentary maternity resource packet and learn more about maternity benefits for your medical plan. Another good resource is the webpage for GEHA’s maternity and neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU, support team. On this site you may:
- Download an immunization schedule.
- Discover GEHA breast pump benefits.
- Find tips for selecting the right car seat for your child.
- Connect with an online doctor 24/7 through MDLIVE.
- Get support and information from the March of Dimes.
- Search GEHA’s network of doctors, urgent care facilities and other health care providers.
- Sign on to your GEHA member portal to check claims, print ID cards, track your deductible and more.
Finally, GEHA also has four pregnancy e-books, one for each trimester and an e-book covering the time immediately after birth. These resources are available for both Elevate and Elevate Plus members and Standard, High and HDHP members. Congratulations on this new chapter. GEHA is glad to be here with you.
This is a brief description of the features of the Elevate, HDHP, Standard Option, Elevate Plus and High Option medical plans. Please read the plan’s Federal brochures RI-006 (High and Standard Options), RI 71-014 (HDHP) or RI 71-018 (Elevate and Elevate Plus), available at geha.com/PlanBrochure. All benefits are subject to the definitions, limitations, and exclusions set forth in the Federal brochure.