Baked cheese pita with tomatoes and cucumbers
GEHA | August 2, 2021
4 6-inch whole-wheat round pita breads (cut in half)
4 oz. fat-free, shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 medium tomatoes sliced into quarter-inch rounds (salt-free)
1 large cucumber cut into quarter-inch pieces (peeled)
1 green onion (chopped)
- Preheat oven (regular or toaster oven) to 350 degrees.
- Cut the pita breads in half and set aside.
- Shred the cheese and mix well with the garlic.
- Sprinkle the dried basil over the shredded cheese.
- Divide cheese evenly between the 8 pita halves, 2 Tablespoons per pita bread.
- Place pita breads with cheese on a flat pan, cookie sheet or aluminum foil and put in the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts. You may wish to make these in batches to keep the cheese melted and the bread from getting hard.
- Remove from heat carefully, put on plates and serve with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions.
- Cooking tip: You can also add sprouts, chopped lettuce or other favorite veggies to these pita and cheese pockets.
- Cooking tip: You can make these with corn tortillas for a quesadilla or on sliced whole-grain bread, for a melted cheese sandwich.
- Keep it healthy: Avocado or hummus can take the place of the cheese for a vegan version.
- Tip: Your children can help set out the ingredients, and depending on their age, help shred the cheese, cut the tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions and assemble the pita pockets with the vegetables.
Makes four servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
|1.8 g||total fat|
|0.3 g||saturated fat|
Reprinted on August 2, 2021, courtesy of the American Heart Association. For more, visit recipes.heart.org.