Fitting physical activity into your busy life
GEHA | May 20, 2019
We know that being physically active leads to a healthier life, but getting motivated or finding the time to work out can be challenging.
Physical activity makes a significant difference in:
- Reducing your risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some cancers
- Managing your weight
- Lowering blood pressure and cholesterol
- Strengthening muscles, bones and joints
- Helping you live longer
Simple ways to fit activity into your daily routine:
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Go on a brisk walk at lunchtime
- Hike instead of going to the movies
- Park farther away from the door in the parking lot
- Do a few stretches and lunges during a break
- Play sports such as basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, jogging or bicycling
If you experience low back pain, you may feel like resting but moving is good for your back. Exercises for lower back pain, such as hamstring stretches, can strengthen back, stomach and leg muscles. They help support your spine, relieving back pain. Always ask your doctor before doing any exercise for back pain.
A gym membership is a good way to incorporate physical activity into your lifestyle. It can provide accountability and help you stay on track with your physical fitness program.
GEHA medical plan members have access to more than 10,000 nationwide participating fitness centers and select YMCAs for $25 a month. Learn more about GEHA’s Connection Fitness® powered by the Active&Fit Direct™ program and get started today.