Ten ways to add more steps to your day
GEHA | August 17, 2018
Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay active and get exercise. And it's cheap – all you need is a pair of comfortable shoes.
Among other benefits, walking will:
- Give you more energy and make you feel good.
- Reduce stress and help you relax.
- Tone your muscles.
- Increase the number of calories your body burns.
- Improve your stamina and your fitness.
- Strengthen your bones and muscles.
- Lower your risk of diseases like heart ailments and type 2 diabetes.
With a little planning and creativity, it’s easy to fit more steps into your day. Try these tips and watch your step count start to climb:
- Hop off the bus or train one stop early and walk the rest of the way to the office or your home.
- Use the stairs rather than the elevator.
- Park at the back of the lot.
- Take an extra lap around the perimeter of the grocery store when you’re shopping.
- March in place while watching TV, making a phone call, or doing any otherwise stationary activity.
- Walk to your coworker's desk instead of sending an email.
- Try conducting a walking meeting at work rather than gathering around a conference table.
- Set an hourly alarm on your computer or phone. When it goes off, get up and do a lap around your office.
- At the office, use the restroom that is farthest away from your desk.
- Keep a small water bottle at work and get up several times each day to refill it.