Prenatal and infant care benefits for GEHA members
GEHA | May 21, 2019
Prenatal care is the health care you receive while you are pregnant and helps keep you and your baby healthy. It is important to schedule well-baby visits with your pediatrician.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies get checkups at birth, 3 to 5 days after birth, and then at 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months and 2 years. While at these appointments, it is important to work with your child’s provider to schedule vaccinations. Immunizations not only protect your child from disease, but also prevent the spread of disease to others.
Resources are available to help answer your questions and guide you through your pregnancy. Here are some from the Office of Women’s Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Medical Care during Pregnancy (Nemours Foundation)
- What Can I Do to Promote a Healthy Pregnancy? (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
- Prenatal Care: First Trimester Visits (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Prenatal Care: Second Trimester Visits (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Prenatal Care: Third Trimester Visits (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Vaccination Schedule (Centers for Disease Control)
GEHA is here to help with your growing family. Our maternity resource packet is packed with information about pregnancy, prenatal care and your maternity benefits. Order your complimentary packet today!
If you have questions about your maternity benefits, a GEHA maternity nurse is available to assist you. In addition, you can earn 100 Health Rewards points for visiting your physician within the first trimester of your pregnancy. To find out how, download our Maternity Health Rewards form.
A first-trimester doctor’s visit lays the foundation for effective prenatal care and helps insure you and your baby are in good health during the important early stages of pregnancy. If you have not yet scheduled a first-trimester visit, call your doctor’s office today.
Another benefit for GEHA medical plan members is a breast pump from Homelink. One double-channel electric breast pump with double suction capability is covered by GEHA at 100% every two years with a physician’s prescription.
Learn more about these benefits, how to earn your points and how to order a breast pump.