Three sisters soup
GEHA | September 8, 2020
This Native American recipe features the “three sisters” of corn, beans and squash.
- 6 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 16 oz. canned, low-sodium yellow corn or hominy, drained and rinsed
- 16 oz. canned, low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 15 oz. canned, cooked pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- Bring stock to a slow boil.
- Add corn/hominy, beans, onion and celery. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, sage and curry. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
|1 g||total fat|
|0 g||saturated fat|
Reprinted on September 8, 2020, courtesy of the American Heart Association. For more, visit recipes.heart.org.