GEHA will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 16. We will reopen at 7 a.m. Central time on Tuesday, January 17.
GEHA offers all the steps to better health.
Whether you're already an avid walker or ready to get started, the GEHA Healthy Steps Walking Program is a great way to get on the road to better health.
Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay active and get exercise. And it's cheap – all you need is a pair of comfortable shoes.
A beginner's walking schedule
Among other benefits, walking will:
- Give you more energy and make you feel good.
- Reduce stress and help you relax.
- Tone your muscles.
- Increase the number of calories your body burns.
- Improve your stamina and your fitness.
- Strengthen your bones and muscles.
- Lower your risk of diseases like heart ailments and type 2 diabetes.
- Give you an opportunity to socialize.
Some simple tips to walk correctly and safely
- Start with an easy 5-minute walk to warm up your muscles.
- Walk with your chin up and your shoulders held slightly back.
- To keep your upper body active, swing your arms as you step.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the neighborhood in which you walk.
3 ways to add 2,000 steps to your day
- Get off the bus a stop or two before your destination.
- Replace one 30-minute TV show with a family walk in the neighborhood.
- Walk the perimeter of your grocery store before you shop.
Before starting a walking program, you should check with your physician.