GEHA stands by those who are affected by recent storms. GEHA Customer Service (including member ID lookup): 800.821.6136
GEHA offers all the steps to better health.
Whether you're already an avid walker or ready to get started, the GEHA Healthy Steps Walking Program is a great way to get on the road to better health.
Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay active and get exercise. And it's cheap – all you need is a pair of comfortable shoes.
A beginner's walking schedule
Among other benefits, walking will:
- Give you more energy and make you feel good.
- Reduce stress and help you relax.
- Tone your muscles.
- Increase the number of calories your body burns.
- Improve your stamina and your fitness.
- Strengthen your bones and muscles.
- Lower your risk of diseases like heart ailments and type 2 diabetes.
- Give you an opportunity to socialize.
Some simple tips to walk correctly and safely
- Start with an easy 5-minute walk to warm up your muscles.
- Walk with your chin up and your shoulders held slightly back.
- To keep your upper body active, swing your arms as you step.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the neighborhood in which you walk.
3 ways to add 2,000 steps to your day
- Get off the bus a stop or two before your destination.
- Replace one 30-minute TV show with a family walk in the neighborhood.
- Walk the perimeter of your grocery store before you shop.
Before starting a walking program, you should check with your physician.